I’m a big reader from way back. Yes, I vote for libraries and I have a fondness for Reading Rainbow and LeVar Burton. English major as charged.
01. Do you snack while you read? If so, favorite reading snack?
Occasionally, I’ll have some popcorn. Mostly, however, I drink water while reading. If one could have a water addiction, I’ve got it.
02. Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
I don’t mark the books I read, except my Bible, which has notes all over from my years in Lutheran middle school. Marking books doesn’t horrify me, so much as annoy me. The only time I’ve been horrified by my own marks in books was those I made when I was younger and I’m just being horrified at my young self.
03. How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog-ears? Laying the book flat open?
Mostly, I use bookmarks. Some of my bookmarks I’ve had since I was kid. My favorite is one with stars on it that I got at OMSI when I was a kid. It’s shiny.
04. Fiction, Non-fiction, or both?
I read both. Mostly, fiction, but I’ve been known to enjoy nonfiction as well.
05. Hardcopy or audiobooks?
I’m a sucker for the hardcopy. Which is why I’m not sure if I would ever get a Kindle to read books from. My middle name might as well be “needs another bookcase.” I do listen to audiobooks on my iPod when I’m working as I can’t exactly sit there and read. I find that the audiobooks need to be funny to keep me entertained. Currently, I’m listening to Terry Prachett’s Discworld novels. Yes, all of them.
06. Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
I prefer to read until the end of the chapter, but if for whatever reason I need to put the book down, I can at any point.
07. If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away? Write it down to look it up later? Just try to infer what it means from the rest of the sentence, and keep going?
I try to infer. If it’s something that really bugs me or I have my computer open for a quick dictionary.com search, I’ll look it up.
08. What are you currently reading?
Tara Hunt’s The Whuffie Factor: Using the Power of Social Networks to Build Your Business, various weekly comics, Philip Pullman’s The Amber Spyglass, and Terry Pratchett’s Reaper Man.
09. What is the last book you bought?
Tara Hunt’s The Whuffie Factor: Using the Power of Social Networks to Build Your Business and my weekly comic pull.
10. Are you the type of person that only reads one book at a time or can read more than one at a time?
I would say one at a time, but my reading list suggests otherwise. I would say that I read one at a time with different purposes. I read one comic at a time. I listen to one audiobook (Pratchett) at a time. I read one book (Hunt) at a time. And I have Jason read one book (Pullman) to me at a time.
11. Do you like re-reading books?
I rarely re-read books. There have been a few; mostly, they were ones I read when I was a tween (not all of them YA books either) and I remembered really enjoying them, but I’d forgotten a lot of what happened.